Funeral Celebrant | Bereavement Support
LOVE & LOSS: BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT
If you have lost someone you love, you may be struggling. Piers runs a support group for people who have been bereaved. The group is called Love & Loss. There is no charge and anyone over the age of 18 is welcome to attend. You can come once or as often as you like.
The local group takes place at the Clarke Foley Centre in Ilkley - on the last Monday of each month (except Bank Holidays) at 7.30pm. Forthcoming dates are as follows:
April 24th | May 22nd | June 26th
There is level access at the Clarke Foley Centre. The address is:
Clarke Foley Centre, Cunliffe Road, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, LS29 9DZ
Get in touch with Piers if you'd like to know more.
THINGS TO DO RIGHT NOW THAT CAN HELP
Being bereaved is a strange and sometimes frightening world to live in, and often people feel lost and do not know what to do. If you are struggling right now, here are five things that might help:
1. Breathe deeply. Try counting to four slowly as you breathe in, and then holding for a count of two, and then out for a count of four. Pause for a count of two before breathing in again. Do this for a few minutes, trying to concentrate mainly on how your breathing feels, rather than on anything else. If this seems hard to do, don't worry .
2. Get some fresh air. If you are able, go for a walk, perhaps to the park if you have one nearby or into the countryside. Any form of exercise is helpful.
3. Talk to someone. You may well be feeling lonely - and while it is necessary to begin to face this, it is also good to reach out to someone for a chat. You don't have to talk about how you are feeling necessarily; just communicating with someone else can help.
4. Be kind to yourself. Try not to be cross with yourself when you are emotional; allow yourself some rest when you are tired; set targets that are manageable; treat yourself.
5. Keep notes. Write down how you are feeling in, and look at it tomorrow. Make a note of whether anything from this list has helped you feel better.
LOVE & LOSS
COUNSELLING & OTHER SUPPORT
Love and Loss does not offer one to one counselling, and Piers is not a trained counsellor.
The easiest way to find this type of support is to visit the Good Grief Trust page:
Here you will find a searchable map of services around the country, as well as many helplines for different needs.
For mental health support, please visit https://www.itsworthtalkingabout.org/
Formed in March 2020 #ItsWorthTalkingAbout was originally set up as a single men's mental health peer support group in Keighley, but has now developed in to a multi group, multi sex organisation covering the Worth & Aire Valley. The aim of #ItsWorthTalkingAbout is to provide safe, confidential spaces for men & women to come & talk about anything that is affecting their wellbeing, mental health or quality of life.
If you are in the Leeds area, please see the Leeds Bereavement Forum for local information.
For support to people who have been affected by a suicide bereavement:
If you are in the Leeds area, https://www.leedssbs.org.uk/
For Bradford and West Yorkshire: https://wyhsbs.org.uk/
IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE RIGHT NOW:
24 HOUR SUPPORT LINES
Samaritans - 116 123 (UK) For anyone at anytime for any reason
Cruse - 0808 808 1677 - Grief support
Childline - 0800 1111 - Support for 18yrs & under and their relatives